Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Recipe Exchange

Well, I must admit that I never imagined it all coming down to this!!

However, I will tell you that making life easier is really what it's all about just now and I have found several things that I would like to share with you ...

First of all, here's a photo of me wearing a mutant leek that we bought after the Oban Horticultural show - it was delicious!  We've eaten the rest and the last onion is going to be used in tonight's chicken:


Gordon Ramsay's Mediterranean Salmon Fillet looks pretty, tastes great and is easy to prepare (ahead of time - yay!)  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5934/mediterranean-salmon-fillet


I will just say that 800 gms is enough for 4 not 6 people.

I have been successfully experimenting with all-day roasting of beef and recommend it highly.  I have tried a 3 lb, 4 lb and lastly a 7 3/4 lb roast and it worked each time.  After doing the s & p and light coating of olive oil, sear the roast; then put it on a bed of pecans (seriously - delicious mushed up then strained in the gravy); then allow a minimum of 8 hours at the temperature that you would like it to end up inside.  We generally like medium rare - around 145°C. So, set the oven at 145°C and use a meat thermometer to check. Try not to peek during roasting. Don't forget to let it rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.

Himself is carving the left over cold beef from the 7 3/4 pounder and it was cooked the same all the way through medium (150°C this time) *mouth waters at the memory*


I also served day-before-mashed potatoes - I couldn't believe it myself: FABULOUS! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/day-before-mashed-potatoes/detail.aspx

Talking about beef.  Beef cuts are called differently here in the UK:


This is what the NA cow looks like:


Go figure. I used the silverside cut which seems to be round elsewhere.

Himself went out on his Triumph Thunderbird for a wee ride the other day and came home with a mutton roast from Barbreck Farms near Ardfern. Mutton, what?  No problem with a slow oven: 150°C and 40 minutes per pound (garlic and rosemary slitted in, glass of red wine sloshed over, cover and uncover for last 1/2 hour).  Done and wonderful.

I'm just going to go and have my leftovers right now for lunch ...

1 comment:

  1. Holy Leek!!

    Everything else looks delicious. Including the cow pictures.

    ReplyDelete