Monday, January 2, 2012

A Short Reflection

I've been looking through my blog site and am quite amazed to see that last year I wrote and published 42 postings!

What a riot.  I really didn't know what it was all about and am generally pleased.

I've also looked back to my intentions 1/1/11:

*Write what I think.  Well, that really didn't work out as I had imagined.  I continue to wonder what it's all about and on occasion I have written something vaguely thoughtful but for the most part I still 'mentally' write and observe and am reticent to publicly declare my opinions/ideas ... the world just isn't ready yet!

The blog is more of a travelogue which I enjoy sharing as I have friends 'here' and 'there.' The shortcoming is that it is one sided and I don't feel close to my friends from Facebook (I cancelled my account after it was hacked - absurd, I only had 13! friends but I really liked them and enjoyed seeing wedding/baby/holiday pictures).

I am stunned to see in my blog 'stats' that I had 1,381 'hits' ... GO FIGURE!

AND

these hits came from all over: Canada, UK, USA, Panama, France, Poland - I can account for family and friends, but how about Germany, China, Russia, and Netherlands, and not just one hit I might add - very cool indeed. I wonder if I may have kindred spirits out there .... Hello? Hello?

I only have one committed follower: my daughter, Jennie, Thank You Darling.  Be sure to check out her link on my page, "Well Shut the Front Door" she's very interesting and funny (unbiased, of course).

I had another resolution last year:

Read. Stop watching mindless television and read instead. That didn't work at all - I have read embarrassingly few books and can only remember Tina Fey's, Bossypants, which is hilarious and cannot be read in public (unless you can laugh quietly and don't snort when you try to suppress it). 


I am (con)currently alternately reading Greg Mortenson's, Three Cups of Tea, and Diane Paddison's, Work, Love, Pray on my iPad.  And I have a real book (dog-eared at page 130) on my bedside table: Dan Hill's, I Am My Father's Son (personally dedicated and signed). I can't seem to settle in - not due to lack of interest, I just need to think about them.


I've looked through my iPad library and am happy to report that I have read more than I remember - why is that I wonder?
The Bolter, Frances Osborne
Poor Little Bitch Girl, Jackie Collins
I Feel Bad About my Neck and I Remember Nothing, Nora Ephron (I think that I need to read that  last one again)
Sex, Money, Kiss, Gene Simmons
The Family Fang, Kevin Wilson


Short yet eclectic list, that's for sure.


Now that I think about it I do remember reading these ... but I have no recollection whatsoever about:
Making Waves, Tawna Fenske
An Inconvenient Marriage, Ruth Ann Nordin


And I did start and simply could not deal with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Steig Larsson.  No, I don't think I'll bother with the movie either.


So, not too bad but not great.


Mindless television?  I'm all about it. My PVR is full of Random Housewives, Hell's burning Kitchens/Nightmares, Tabatha - I love you and BTW the world needs you, clothing designers Project Runway madness, Amazing around the world Races,  abandoned Storage units the buyers War/battle over, and I will admit to worrying if I am a Hoarder - I guess not compared to that lot, and will my family feel the need to conduct an Intervention? - luckily not to date  ... not quite so mindless is The Good Wife, and the perennial Grey's Anatomy (I just can't stop), Revenge is a surprise hit, will Pan Am suddenly be revived? OK, as I am 'fessing all: I'm a diehard Judge Judy fan and I've known Victor Newman since he married Nikki (1982?). Enough already.


One last thing: the second season of the wonderful British ITV production, Downton Abbey, is starting on PBS this Sunday. So not mindless.


For the record, I'm not a total vegetable; if I can't daily download The Globe and Mail I do check out the headlines;  and once a week, I keep up with the Creemore Echo and The Oban Times.


Right, I don't have any deliberate resolutions/intentions for 2012.  Yesterday, I included several general ideas/thoughts one could keep in mind while on this path for a good, reasonable and meaningful life. Today I have been thinking of Jack Layton's last letter to Canadians; it is worth rereading, particularly the last paragraph:



"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment