Tuesday, May 31, 2011

More or Less back to Normal

The weather has been unsettled (understatement) since last week's high winds.  Actually it's been bloody awful.  In fact, it's even broken the locals who have, as one, disowned May all together, declaring it the worst winter month ever.

Scottish winter/May weather: gales, sleet, hail, blizzards, (yes, last w/e there were blizzards in the mountains), lashing rain and when all that stops low grey skies.

I am pretty sure that I went into a low grey depression myself.  Himself and I were hissing at each other; enough to drive one to drink; which we did.

It is no wonder that alcoholism is rampant in Scotland, especially in the young, AND skin melanoma.

What's that all about?

First of all, the air is pretty well devoid of all air pollution which on the one hand is a wonderful thing and on the other makes UV protection a must on a daily basis. Secondly, when the sun does come out - as it did yesterday - everyone rushes out in camisoles, shorts and flip flops and sits at outdoor cafes, on the beach (it was a bank holiday) and generally sucks the stuff in ... hence rampant skin cancer on lily white unprotected skin. When I go into town today, I can guarantee that most of the people I see will have some sort of sunburn.

So, it was very difficult to get into the rhythm of garden cleanup between the vicious squalls coming in  from the north west (cold) and it only just now is starting to look reasonable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Oban in Bloom judges came to look at the garden THE DAY AFTER THE 100 MPH WINDS!  I gently noted their timing and they cheerfully replied that they could have come the day before (but of course they didn't, they holed up safe and sound around the hearth like every other reasonable person did).

On Sunday, Himself bought me a battery operated strimmer (weedeater).  I have mixed emotions about this: I like it because it is light and takes about 6 hours of time off trimming the edges; on the other hand ...

I was asked about my level of satisfaction in having the place look so good.  The question was posed after I had spent all day hand cutting the edges, raking the debris, dogging the squalls ... blah... blah; I had just taken two extra strength Advil, and was cooking his dinner ... Although normally digging in Mother Earth is satisfying - in this garden the pick ax is my most useful tool. I like a lovely garden as much as the next person, and in fact, I do take pride in it, but it is a really short lived thing as within two weeks the place looks derelict and it all needs to be done again.  It is really just a case of survival.Not really satisfying.

THE BIG NEWS is that Chardonnay is in the water and high pressure is tearing in from the west.  Himself is deliriously happy and getting her prepped for a wee sail.  We set off on Thursday for seas and parts unknown ....

No comments:

Post a Comment